Whole Wheat Bread Bowls
I am a sucker for soup! I love it! It’s warm and comforting on a cold winter day, easy to make, can be made out of pretty much anything, and can be extremely healthy!
But what is more fun than having a bowl of soup? Eating soup out of a bread bowl, that’s what!
Bread bowls have gotten the reputation of being unhealthy and not part of a healthy diet….well I’m here to abolish that bad reputation! My recipe for bread bowls will help create a healthy, well rounded meal!
-3 cups Whole Wheat flour
-2 TBSP. brown sugar
-2 TBSP. butter/shortening (softened)
-3/4 cup low fat milk
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 pkg. QuickRise Yeast
1. Warm milk in microwave slightly.
2. Beat egg
3. Add egg, milk and butter to bread machine
4. Add remaining ingredients in this order: sugar, salt, flour, yeast
5. Set bread machine to dough cycle
6. When cycle is complete remove from machine and shape into 12 balls
7. Let rest/rise 1/2 hour
8. Preheat oven to 350*
9. Flatten each ball into a disc and place over a well greased bowl (any shape will work-for this recipe I used a everyday soup bowl, if you are using a bigger bowl be sure to increase dough and nutritional info accordingly)
10. Place each bowl covered in dough onto a cookie sheet (you may need more than one), to be sure each bowl has a flat bottom you can top the tray of bread bowls with another cookie sheet
11. Bake for 20 minutes (or until bowls are browned on edges)
12. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes to cool slightly
13. Using a knife, gently pry the bread off the bowls
14. Serve a delicious soup in your delicious bread bowls!