Nutrition for Pregnancy (this girl’s on the Radio)
*Starting update – today it was a balmy 42 degrees here and raining 🙁
So today we did something super cool! We got to do a radio segment for KNOM (one of the two radio stations in the Nome area)
Each Summercise intern gave a segment on a different topic – mine was nutrition for pregnant moms
Here are the points I touched on, if you’d like to know!
Pregnancy is an exciting time of preparing for the newest little member of your family to come into this world. But deciding what to eat or what to not to eat during the 9 months before baby arrives can be overwhelming for the mom to be!
Here are a few important tips to remember that will help both mom and baby be a healthy as you can be during pregnancy:
- Be careful to only eat fully cooked meat, poultry, seafood and eggs – during pregnancy you are at increased risk of food poisoning
- Avoid unwashed fruits and vegetables to decrease possible bacteria on the surface
- Eliminate or limit the amount of caffeine you consume. Caffeine can be found in coffee, pop, certain teas and even chocolate
- Do not consume alcohol or tobacco products
This may seem like a lot of can’t haves, but it is only a small list compared to all the delicious and nutritious foods and drinks you can enjoy during pregnancy. Here are a few that will improve both the health of mom and baby:
- Whole grains, such as wheat bread, whole-grain pasta, or brown rice
- Calcium, although a great source – lowfat dairy is not the only way to get in your calcium. Salmon is also a great source
- Be sure to get enough protein. This can be found in eggs, lean meat, beans and seafood – but beware of high mercury fish like tuna
And don’t forget to drink lots of water!
…well that’s all folks! Hope you enjoyed learning about nutrition for soon-to-be moms!