Creamy Lemon-Vanilla Rice (healthy & delicious)
So recently I’ve been pretty into hot breakfast cereal! It probably won’t last long, seeing how it is suppose to be 80* here today!!! What the what!?
say type I’m pretty pumped! Break out the shorts, flip flops and country summer tunes 🙂
Anywhosies… back to warm breakfast cereals… my usual (I was going to type ‘us’ as in short slang for usual, but that looked so not right… any idea how to type that? wow, lots of bird walks today!) My usual is oatmeal but I’ve gotten a little more adventurous and tried Bob’s Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal (not bad…but not my favorite) and then decided to make my own creamy rice!
Usually creamy rice, or rice pudding as many relate it to, is full of sugar and cream or higher fat milk which = unnecessary empty calories that do nothing for my body. Now I’m not saying a little sugar or cream is a bad thing (this girls loves ice cream!) but I don’t want to waste my intake of sugar and cream on breakfast when I could save it for ice cream later! 🙂
So I decided to make a lightened up version of this classic dish, and bump up the nutrition, fiber and protein content by making some subtle changes… Come along as I show you how I did it!
First, I should state that I got the inspiration for this recipe from this site right…here! The site’s creator, Ashley, has so many good recipes and amazing photos! Her recipes always give me a good starting point for something I can make and enjoy in relation to my eating preferences and pantry/frig content.
Let’s get started cooking!
Step 1 – break up the brown rice with a blender/food processor
Step 1 1/2 (because I forgot to add this step and am too lazy to go back and re-number all my other steps) – spray the bottom of a sauce pan with cooking spray and add brown rice, turn burner on to medium and toast the rice til slightly golden and beginning to give off a nutty aroma
Step 2 – bring rice to a boil with water and 1 cup of milk
Step 3 (not shown, because well, it made a boring picture…and I forgot…) – bring to a boil and stir 5 minutes, then drop it down to low temp to simmer until all liquid is absorbed
Step 4 -Add the remaining milk, sweetener, 1 tsp. of vanilla and lemon zest
Step 5 – bring it back to a near boil/strong simmer (whichever way you’d like to describe it!) and stir occasionally until all liquid is absorbed.
and viola! breakfast is served!
Creamy Lemon-Vanilla Rice
By April 9, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 servings Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
So recently I've been pretty into hot breakfast cereal! It probably won't last long, seeing how it is suppose to be 80* here today!!! …
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups milk any fat content, I used skim and it worked just fine!
- 1 cup water
- 2 TBSP. sweetener of choice I used TBSP brown sugar, 1 TBSP stevia
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch salt
- Grind brown rice in a blender/food processor just until most of the kernels have been broken; this helps create a creamier texture
- Spray sauce pan with cooking spray, add brown rice and toast on medium heat until it gives off nutty aroma and is golden
- Add 1 cup water and 1 cup milk, bring to a boil and stir for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and let sit until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, increase heat to a strong simmer and stir occasionally until all liquid is absorbed and a creamy, thick consistency is reached.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress