Chewy Oat Bars
I recently received some Newman’s Own Organic product to sample and review. One product I absolutely loved was their dried fruit! – Newman’s Own Organic Dried Fruit I decided I would use this amazing product to make a new recipe! Chewy Oat Bars
If you’ve ever had an ‘Oatmeal to Go Bar’ from Quaker, you will be extremely pleased with these chewy bars! They taste very similar, but without all the nasty preservatives and other fillers that Quaker decided would be fun to through into my breakfast bar! While they aren’t an exact match (but have no fear..I’m still working and will be until I get a perfect match because I am in LOVE with those Oatmeal to Go Bars… 🙁 but my bank account isn’t!) anyways-while they aren’t identical, they certainly fit the bill for a soft, chewy, wholesome breakfast bar that is quick and simple to prepare and perfect for rushed mornings!
Let’s get it started!
I use ‘raisins’ very loosely! As you can see from my first picture I used NOO’s dried berry blend and craisins, until recently I’ve basically only used raisins so that is just what I have a tendency to call all dried fruit!
-1 TBSP. butter/margarine
-2 TBSP of each:
-sugar (or sugar substitute)
-maple syrup (can be sugar free)
-1/4 cup raisins~soaked in 1 cup water
-2 cups oats (or any dry, rolled grain-i.e. barley, rye)
-1/4 cup flour
-1/4 cup coconut
-1/4 cup add-in’s (i.e. flax, chia, wheat germ)
-1 tsp. baking powder
-pinch of salt
1. Mix wet ingredients and microwave to melt butter
2. Heat raisins in 1 cup water for about 1 minute in microwave
3. Let raisins sit 10 minutes in water
4. Mix dry ingredients together
5. Drain raisins, reserving water and chop finely
6. Mix raisins with wet ingredients, add in raisin-water
7. Slowly add in dry ingredients
8. Spread into greased pan
9. Bake at 350* for about 35 minutes (until edges are browned)
10. Cut into bars and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes
11. Remove bars from pan and cool on rack for another 10 minutes
12. Grab and enjoy a healthy-quick
snack, breakfast, treat!